- Population of county – 2005 estimate 17,239
- Population of Village of Kalkaska – 2000 actual 2,226
- 22.8% growth between 1990 and 2000 census
According to 2000 census:
- Housing units 10,822
- Home ownership rate 85.1%
- Median value of housing units $85,100
- Median rent $468 per month
- 29.5 persons per square mile
- Total workforce as of 2006 9,097
- Number employed 8,412
- Number unemployed 684
- Unemployment rate 7.5%
- Per capita personal income (2000) $16,989
Kalkaska County has 561 square miles, half owned by state; there are 9.75 square miles of inland water areas; 275 miles of streams and rivers and over 80 lakes. The average temperatures in January are from 9 (average low) to 26 (average high and in July from 54 (average low) to 81 (average high). The county receives about 31 inches of rain and 126 inches of snow each year. The growing season is about 110 days.
Kalkaska County Library 247 S Cedar (231) 258-9411
- Circulation in 2000 – over 37,000 items
- Between 25 and 40 use six internet work stations computers daily
- Over 29,200 books; over 2,000 audio titles; 42 newspapers and magazines
- Bookmobile services readers throughout the county,
- Genealogy material available
Senior Center 303 S Cedar (231) 258-5030
Breakfasts and lunches served, crafts, bingo, ping pong, sewing, music, card games, pool, dances, classes, health clinics, field trips, tours, and special events.
Additional senior activity sites at Rapid City, Blue Lake, South Boardman, and CETA Hall.